Microsoft’s BlueKeep Bug Isn’t Getting Patched Quickly Enough
A serious bug is tearing its way through millions of PCs – known as BlueKeep, the bug is being compared to the famous WannaCry attack in 2017. BlueKeep is a hackable vulnerability in Microsoft’s Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) that affects Windows 7 and earlier as well as older versions of Windows Server. It’s been a few weeks since Microsoft warned users about this crucial vulnerability in the common Windows protocol, and although the headlines may be fading, the bug is still lingering in at least 900,000 computers – who are getting Microsoft’s patch at a sluggish pace.
The bug enables a hacker to remotely take over machines without even a click from their owners, potentially allowing an infectious worm to rip through the PCs of an organization. Microsoft released a patch for BlueKeep on May 14, but because BlueKeep is so serious, rating 9.8 out of 10 in severity according to Microsoft, they also pushed out a rare patch for Windows XP, which it doesn’t usually support. So, with such extreme severity, why aren’t these vulnerable machines being patched up quickly? Some may be old and forgotten servers in the data center – but others are likely corporate machines with sensitive data, and if there’s any vulnerability that demands a quick and urgent approach, it’s BlueKeep.
If your business is vulnerable to this bug, it should prompt a close investigation and inventory of both legacy systems and legacy network protocols. Applying the patch, along with a comprehensive testing/validation strategy, is the best solution to protect your organization. This is a potentially scary and extremely risky situation – the good news is, Interlink can help with it all so you don’t have to worry about it.
Put simply – Interlink can patch your environment for you, so you don’t have to spend the time, money or resources worrying about it. Our consultants have experience with helping secure organizations from attacks like BlueKeep and have the knowledge of the Windows Servers to patch them quickly and correctly, so your organization will be more secure in the end.
Here are some of the patching and security actions Interlink can help your company achieve, so BlueKeep and similar bugs, attacks and malware can be better prevented.
- Automate Patching of Windows Updates, Definition and Security Updates
- Create Automatic Deployment Rules (ADR) for automation of Updates
- Configure download rules and alerts for updates
- Configure ADR’s for Definition Updates to target specific device collections
- Test patch deployment and support client staff during the first production deployment
- Software Updates Point Cleanup and Configurations
- Remove currently downloaded patches from Primary Site and Distribution Points
- Re-Synchronize Software Updates following configurations of Software Update Point
- Create custom device collections to be used for patching processes
- Create maintenance windows for targeted device collections
- Configure Windows Updates evaluation cycle for every 30 days
- Managed Services for Security, SCCM and more
- 24 x 7 x 365 monitoring of your server and application infrastructure
- Proactive fixes for issues that are identified
- Asset management of parts before they fail and cause critical downtime
- Automatic patching and software updates - helps ensure that your network is protected and defended against malware, spyware, and viruses
- Quick remote support - the ability to see what you are seeing quickly. Our technical team can put eyes on your issue and get it resolved
Interested in learning more? View our similar blog: Improve Your Credential Hygiene with the Local Administrator Password Solution (LAPS).